Thursday, January 24, 2013

Late afternoon quick ride

After class today, I did some errands, then hooked up with Emily and some friends for a nice lunch at a new place for me that has a rabbit special on Thursdays.  Very good.  After lunch, we returned to the apartment, then I finished my list of things to get done today, and suited up for a ride.  I rode a favorite, which typifies the incredible riding I am lucky enough to access right from home.  I rode up Via Bolognese, turned off at Pian de San Bartolo, contoured up and over to Cercina, then up to the church above Cercina, then descended down to the Carriege area, then took the back way toward Via Bolognese, then home.  13.7 miles in 1:14 rolling time, for an average of 11.1 mph, with 1450 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 45 or so.  Super fun, curvy roads ranging from relatively busy (Via Bolognese) to basically abandoned (after the turn off at San Bartolo).  

Tuesday afternoon, I made a decision on a new ride.  I received advise from a few bike industry friends in the States, and looked a 5 shops here.  After all is said and done, I decided to go with a top model Willier Gran Turismo, with a Shimano Ultegra Di2 gruppo.  I am super excited, but it will be a few days before I am riding it.  I go by the shop tomorrow to get fitted, possibly change cranks and bars with what is currently on my lightspeed.  As soon as I have it, I will post a picture.  Carbon Fibre allows the fabrication of some super sexy frames.  I am totally looking forward to using the new electronic shifters from Shimano, although these are second generation and should have the kinks figured out.  

Yesterday, I spent the day greeting students for a company here called Study Abroad Italy, that sets up programs for students.  I met around 20 different students all over town, riding my townie bike, to give them welcome packets, keys, and basic explanations of Firenze.  This is the 4th time I have done this, and aside from a little welcome cash, it is really fun to meet the young students, and enjoy the enthusiasm of a 20 year old.  Wow!

Here is the garmin link for anyone interested.



I turned the corner, and the color of the sky struck me as worthy of a photo.
Hope you agree.


Basically the same spot, zoomed in and light adjusted.  Che Bello!

No comments:

Post a Comment