Friday, November 16, 2012

Lots of climbing on a quick ride to flush emotions - beautiful day again.

Last night we had some bad news.  My Mother was taken to the hospital by ambulance for the second time in as many weeks.  It appears she will be ok, but the writing is on the wall.  I have not thought she had that much longer with us, but was measuring that time in years, which still may be true.  I am now thinking that it may be a few months, so with the first communications from Denver suggesting that she may not come out of the hospital if she went in again, Emily and I discussed a number of things.  If it was truly time for the end I needed to be on a plane today or tomorrow.  As I said, it appears better now, after getting a call for information at 3 am our time.  I booked a flight for Sunday and will probably use it unless she is feeling super good when we talk tonight our time.  I am just thinking they could use help now, and there may not be too many more opportunities to spend time together.

So, I was relatively down this morning with the decision making, booking flights, getting information on costs to cancel in the next 24 hours if that is what happens, etc.  For me, it is always good to get some exercise in to clear my head an move forward in a good frame of presence.  I thought the maximum climbing in the shortest distance would do the trick, and it did.  I rode up Via Bolognese to Pratolino, then up to the junction for Bivigliano, Olmo, or Montescenario.  I sort of stayed straight and the road kicked up to around 15% for 100 vertical meters of climbing.  This will clear everything out.  I stayed with it and there are two more 15% to 18% pieces of the climb before you turn off for the spur road that actually goes to the 15th century Monastery of Montescenario, which is still in operation.  This road is a steady 12%, and before you know it you are at the top.

I took some time there, had a snack, enjoyed the views which are really 360 degree views, and took some photos for the blog post.  The descent is a gas, and quite quick.  After the spur road, I take a different route down to Bivigliano, then the slightly descending, contouring road across to the junction with the road to Olmo, then down through Caldine, Pian de Mugnone, and back to Firenze and home.  The weather was perfect again, climbing in light tights and a long sleeved jersey.  At the top I added my Gore tex rain shell, long fingered gloves (Gore windstopper), and a skull cap, which was great for the descent back into Firenze.  I have a ride with the team / club tomorrow morning, then I am off for a week in Denver on Sunday.  Check the link for all the specifics, but the summary is:  23.6 miles in 1:52 rolling time for an average of 12.6 with 2850 vertical feet of climbing.  Ciao.

Lots of climbing on a quick ride to flush emotions - beautiful day again. by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details


The road is beautiful but steep on the way to Monte Scenario.


Around 250 vertical meters of climbing left to the Monastery on top in the distance.


A view of the back side of the Monastery at Monte Scenario.


Part of the east side of the complex.


The staircase to the main entrance and the chapel at the monastery.


The view to the west from Monte Scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment