Monday, November 5, 2012

Rainbow tour - changing weather

The weather was clearing this morning, and the forecast called for it to continue clearing throughout the day, so I took off for a middle sized ride with a fair amount of vertical and one new stretch of road.  I started out on the viales, up past Piazza Michaelangelo, up to Poggio Imperiale, then down to Galluzzo.  I took the switchbacks up from Galluzzo the over on the ridge through Chiesa Nuova and Spedalletto to San Casciano.  Here I took the very fast descent to Ponte Rotto, then climbed to San Pancrazio.  I took the ridge road across through San Quirico, then took a new road down through La Ripa.  I had seen this road many times, as the ridge route through San Pancrazio is one of my favorites, and checked it out on the various maps.  It appeared that it continued to the road close to Cerbia, which it ended up doing.  It was fun, but the descent into La Ripa was super steep, and I am not sure if I will do it again, but probably.  It usually seems less steep a second time.

At the junction with the road near Cerbia, I went left and up toward Montagnana, and turned off on the back way to San Vincenzo a Torri, a new favorite of mine.  I turned left on the main road, then rode over to Ginestra Fiorentina, then turned to go up the hill, turned off toward Marliano, through Marliano, and across the highway.  I took the left, and went to Vigliano, then took the climb to Santa Maria a Marciano.  Here the climbing was complete, and I descended into Scandicci, then toward Firenze.  It was after the hospitals in Scandicci when it started to rain lightly, but the sun came out as well, and I rode straight into a brilliant rainbow back into the city center.  Lots of fun.  Summary is either 3800 or 5300 vertical (depends on if you enable the correction piece on Garmin, and I don't know which is correct), in 46.5 miles, with 3 hours 40 minutes of rolling time giving an average speed of 12.7 mph.  Check the link for more specific information if you wish.

Rainbow tour - changing weather by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details


As the sky cleared, the high clouds confirmed the weather change. 
The vineyards in the foreground are going yellow.


Here are a couple of shots of the vineyards in full color change.


No comments:

Post a Comment