Saturday, June 29, 2013

Super fun close in Chianti ride.

It seems I am often catching up with some things lately, which I again did this morning.  I am getting busier and have work commitments tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday, and Friday.  All of these are through my friends Leif and Dominick.  Thanks, guys.  I was off on my ride by 12:30, and figured my planned ride would be around 3 hours.  The last two days I was a little low on energy, and was hoping to get back to myself today.  I started out on the viales and climbed past Piazzale Michaelangelo the over an up to Poggio Imperiale.  Sweet short descent to Galluzzo, the the regular road to Impruneta, which was good.  Although I wasn't pushing it, on purpose, I was still at my 2nd or 3rd best time.  I took a different route through Impruneta that I rode with the team at last Sunday's raduno, and remembered the route well, and was on the super fun descent to the valley just below Ferrone.  You take a left at the main valley road, and the Luiano turn off is only around 100 meters away.

The road and climb through Luiano is always fun an beautiful.  After hitting the Mercatale road, I turned left immediately to descend, then climb to Montefiridolfi.  I changed some of the read outs on my Garmin, and watched the percent read out for the climb, which topped at 15%, which is close to what I thought, and pretty steep.  I rode the ridge road over to Bibbione, then descended into another valley, turning right to ride up the valley, then climb to San Casciano.  Again, I was trying not to push, but ended up pretty fast anyway.  I must be getting stronger.  From San Casciano, over through Chiesa Nuova, then down the fun switchbacks to Galluzzo.  From Galluzzo, the back way around town, over to the Cinque Vie road, then home.  Super fun and great to have my mojo back.  The summary is:  39.8 miles in 2:54 for an average speed of 13.7 mph with 3166 vertical feet of climbing at a sun affected average temperature of 82.  Love it!

Impruneta, Luiano, Montefiridolfi, San Casciano, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Vineyards on the Luiano climb.


The nice piazza in the center of Montefiridolfi.


On the ridge ride just past Montefiridolfi.


No comments:

Post a Comment