Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cercina quickie!

I joined Emily's Art History class this morning, and it was really great.  They started their second semester with a visit to San Miniato, one of my favorite architectural spaces here in Florence or maybe anywhere.  I learned lots of history about the location, San Minias, and the building itself.  I like the proportions of the space enough that many years ago I paced things out and did a little plan, then used the size of a person to try and understand the space in section.  Interesting that Elaine, the professor also loves the space inside.  Although there are times I disagree with her opinions about some buildings, when I did a trip to Rome with the class and we visited the Pantheon, she also said it was one of her favorite spaces.  These are two of my favorite all time spaces, both seem close to being perfect interior spaces.  After class, a group went to a wonderful restaurant, Il Fagoli, where their specialty is Rabbit on Thursdays.  I have had the rabbit there a few times previously, and it never disappoints.  Super good.

Home in time for a short ride, and although I think I did most of this ride last week, it is really one of my best short rides, so I bent my own rule and did it today.  Just a super fun ride, a good workout with a fair amount of climbing in a short space, with most of the route having very little traffic.  Up Via Bolognese to Pian de San Bartolo, over through Cercina to the church above the little town, down option #3, then back up to take the option around part of the Careggi hospital complex, then taking the option to go around the Meyer hospital part of the complex, then a hop, skip, and a jump and I am home.  Ciao.  15.7 miles in 1:17 rolling time for an average speed of 12.1 mph with 1637 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 52.  Showers pretty steady after turning off Via Bolognese, but really quite lite.

Pian de San Bartolo, Cercina, Careggi, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

The road between Pian de San Bartolo and Cercina.


This is the second part of Cercina, a tiny town one of my close
in quick rides goes through.  Fun place with almost no traffic.


No comments:

Post a Comment