Friday, January 17, 2014

Chianti hills ride and Vittorio's birthday party.

Another busy day yesterday.  We purchased a TV a couple of days ago, with the intention to use it to watch the movies we stream on Netflix, etc.  It took a couple of days and a few attempts to get the appropriate cables and the correct installation, but I had it done by around 11:30.  We had Torrio's birthday party at 4:30, which Emily was at around 1:00 to help, and I needed to be there before the start, so time for a 3 hour ride.

I decided on the Chianti hills, my standard expandable / contractable ride.  If extra help was needed, I would get a call and return.  I started by going over to Grassina then climbing the main road toward Strada, then turning off to finish the climb to Impruneta.  I had only done this climb once before, and it is a nice alternative.  Cafe machiato in Impruneta, then the descent to the valley road followed by the climb through Luiano to Mercatale.  Only 100 meters on the main road, then the steep descent followed by a beautiful short valley ride, then a steep climb to Montefiridolfi.  Lately when I was off this direction, things transpired to not allow me to extend the ride to Montefiridolfi.

I rode along the ridge from Montefiridolfi to Bibbione, then took the fun descent to the main road in the valley.  I climbed to San Casciano, then rode over through Chiesa Nuova to the switchback filled descent to Galluzzo.  I decided on the climb to Poggio Imperiale, and followed it up with the Viales through Piazzale Michaelangelo back home.  Nice ride - 41.5 miles in 2:59 rolling time for an average speed of 13.9 mph with 3156 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 52.

The party for Torrio was fun, but pretty wild.  For me, 25 kids in a medium sized Florentine apartment with their Mother's is a lot of people and an insane amount of activity.  The energy level of the kids, particularly the 3 year olds, Vittorio's age, is just amazing.  Torrio is totally into chocolate these days, and he consumed a fair amount at the party.  We helped with the cleaning afterward, then I wrestled with him for 1/2 hour or so.  He was pretty amped up to say the least.  Fun, but tiring.  Ciao.

Strada, Impruneta, Luiano, Montefiridolfi, San Casciano, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Looking south on the climb from Strada to Impruneta with the
only sun I saw today.


A church on the ridge between Montefiridolfi and Bibbione.


Princess Viola ready for the guests to arrive.


Pirate Torrio at his birthday party.


The general mayhem at Vittorio's birthday party.


No comments:

Post a Comment