Sunday, January 12, 2014

Giro de Mugello con squadra.

Sorry, no pictures today, as when I took out the camera to take a couple, it told me the battery needed charging.  Well, it is charged now, and ready for my next ride.  Another ride with the team this morning, although all different people.  We met at Obihall, and decided on the standard Giro de Mugello.  Rebecca decided just to go to Pontesieve then turn around as she is fighting a cough.  The rest of us did a pretty good job of staying together and sharing the lead riding in a pace line.  We went out the main road to Pontesieve, then turned to go through town, then out the road through Rufina to Dicomano where we had a quick cafe stop.  Just outside of Florence on the way to Pontesieve, we encountered fog, which stayed with us until we started the climb up to Croce alle Vetta.

I like the light in the fog and today, the temperatures were just about right for physical exertion.  I felt strong and rode hard, dropping all but one person on the little climb between Dicomano and San Lorenzo.  We all broke up on the climb to Croce alle Vetta, and I surprised myself by dropping the entire group, waiting at the top 5 minutes for the first two, then another 5 for the next, then we all doubled back a little to help the last rider up the hill.  The weather totally cleared on the climb and suddenly it was really beautiful, so it was actually quite nice waiting at the top.  I was hoping for a personal best on Strava, but it was only 2nd on one piece and 3rd overall.  I don't know when I will ride it faster, but we shall see.  We all enjoyed the excellent descent in perfect weather down through Caldine and Pian de Mugnone.

There was talk about Via Salviati on the descent, and I just thought I would wait and see.  Sure enough all but one turned on Via Salviati, but one changed his mind after 1/3 of the climb.  I hung in there, and it was fine although a little painful.  After 3 plus hours of pretty hard riding, a stretch of 200 vertical feet at 20% is just hard for me.  The more I do it, the less it hits me mentally, though.  It is the final part of the gran fondo Firenze at the end of March, so I best get it straight in my head.  Overall, a great ride and it feels good to feel strong and be complimented on my climbing by a number of the guys.  As much as I like to feel I am leaving ego behind, I still feel good when complimented.  50.6 miles in 3:02 rolling time for an average speed of 16.7 mph with 2559 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 49.  Another great ride with the team.  Ciao.

Pontesieve, Dicomano, Borgo San Lorenzo, Croce alle Vetta, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment