Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fast ride in the Chianti hills.

Yesterday, Luca from the team, contacted be to ride this morning.  It worked out, as we had tried a couple of times in the past but one or the other of us had a commitment.  We ride well together, but he is gaining strength and is now dropping me on the hills.  Oh well, he is 28, so as he gets stronger it is to be expected.  We are still pretty close and even when I am dropped, I can usually keep in visual contact, so there is not a long wait for him at the top.  I truly poured rain last night for most of the night, but the forecast was for it to stop and clear for a brief period around 6 am.  The forecast was pretty much right on, and we had a perfect morning for a ride in Chianti.

We went out toward Bagno a Ripoli, then cut to Ponte a Ema, then got on the Vacciano road to climb to San Gersole, then on the main road to Impruneta.  I know from riding with Luca on many Sundays, that he does not drink cafe, so we really did not stop at all.  From Impruneta, we descended to the valley road, then climbed up through Luiano to the main road just outside of Mercatale.  On this climb it became obvious to me that he was getting stronger, as I had to push to stay together.  We decided to add on Montefiridolfi, and I think he had only ridden this road once before, and the route from Montefiridolfi to Bibbione then down to the valley was new for Luca.

We then climbed to San Casciano, and although I was close to a PR, he definitely dropped me here.  It may not sound like it, but I really don't mind this.  I see climbing on a bike as a solitary pursuit, and actually some one slightly faster makes me try harder.  After San Casciano, we rode toward Chiesa Nuova, but turned off to descend through San Andrea in Percussina to the Tavernuzze road.  From there, it was a power ride back to town, staying on the main roads.  A great morning ride with Luca and I certainly enjoyed the break between storms.  35.8 miles in 2:36 rolling time for an average speed of 13.7 mph with 2648 vertical feet climbed at an average (sun effected) temperature of 53.  Sweet!

Vacciano, Impruneta, Luiano, Montefiridolfi, San Casciano, Fi by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Luca on the road between Montefiridolfi and Bibbione.


On the ridge ride, the mountains in the background are topped
with what appears to be a fair amount of new snow.


Luca ahead of me starting the climb to San Casciano.


No comments:

Post a Comment