Friday, February 7, 2014

Nice medium / short ride to the North and East

I certainly watch the weather, perhaps obsessively, and rain is predicted for later today, then Sunday through Friday, so I had to get out today.  I have a few bills, etc., to take care of, but a few hours won't hurt anything.  Kate tells me I may be the only person in Italy who always pays bills on time.  Another obsession.  Anyway, a slow start, but out on the bike before 11, and I trimmed the length of the ride so I would be back in time to check some of the paperwork that needs attention.

Out on my favorite back way to San Domenico, then the small climb to the descent to the start of the Vincigliata climb.  Always a good climb, and today was no exception.  It actually felt pretty good going up, then I turned off to descend to Compiobbi, a fun and at times steep descent.  Today the roads were almost completely dry, which aids in taking the descents quickly.  At Compiobbi, you join the main road and crank for 5 kilometers or so, then turn off for the super fun and scenic climb to the Windmill.  I really love this climb.  At the windmill, I descended toward Rufina, and turned southeast on the tiny road on the west side of the Sieve river, which was flowing as big as I have seen it.  This is a very fun road to Pontassieve, then it is a crank back home on the main road - head down, try for a good, smooth pedal motion using the whole circumference for power.  Back into the city feeling good.

33.9 miles in 2:33 rolling time for an average speed of 13.3 mph with 2781 vertical feet of climbing (the device actually had it at 2992, and I don't know why it won't come up with that on the garmin page - it shows that on the Strava site), at an average temperature of 56.  Great day!

San Domenico, Vincigliata, Compiobbi, Sieci, Molino de Vento, Pontassieve by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

4 pictures from the climb between Sieci and Molino de Vento
(Windmill). I love this climb for a number of reasons, but one
is how scenic it is.  Che Bella.








No comments:

Post a Comment