Tuesday, July 10, 2012

7-9 and 7-10 rides

Monday was a day for a short ride, as the last two days (Saturday and Sunday) were relatively long, in particular when you take into account the 95 to 100 degree temperatures.  I simply cannot go as long when the weather is that warm.  I guess I am getting old.  Anyway, I rode up Via Bolognese and turned off to find a hotel, the Villa Rondini on the way up.  The hotel is quite nice and very out of the way.  We were forwarded a groupon that gave us a day poolside with a lite lunch for 26 euros for both of us.  We had never been to the hotel and never used groupon, so I wanted to check things out in person.  Well, as I said it is nice and the walk to the hotel from the #25 bus stop is around 1/2 mile, which is not much for us.  We are signed up for Friday afternoon to use the groupon.  After checking the hotel out, I continued up to Pian de Bartolo, where I turned off for Cercina.  This is a pretty standard ride for me when I am looking for a short, fast ride, but I had not ridden it in a while.  The road from Pian de Bartolo to Firenze is simply beautiful and very fun to ride.  It winds the whole way;  in the first 3 kilometers it is up and down, then climbs for 1/2 to 1 kilometer, then descends the remaining way to very close to the Carrige hospital complex.  A very fun 24 kilometers.

Today, Tuesday, I cleaned one set of doors / windows and was out on the bike by 10.  I found a new route from Piazza della Cure to San Domenico.  It is really great - almost no traffic and a quite reasonable road.  I will use it in the future when going to / through Fiesole.  After San Domenico, I rode up through Fiesole, then up to the pass at Alberaccio, then down to the turn off to Santa Brigida, and over to Santa Brigida, where I re-filled my water and dunked my head.  The water was quite cold and very refreshing.  From there, I rode through Fornello, Doccia, and turned off just after the Molin de Vento, where I descended toward Ruffino, but turned right on the "Pope's road" over to Pontesieve.  From Pontesieve, I rode over to Sieci where I re-filled the water again.  It is hot here these days.  At Sieci, I turned off the main road and climbed to Monteloro, where I again filled water and took a little break.  I continued up from Monteloro to the little pass that takes you back to road above Fiesole, but turned right and hooked up with the road to L'Olmo, the descended through L'Olmo, Caldine, Pian de Mugnone, and back into Florence.  A really great ride of 76 kilometers.  Tomorrow and Thursday we are in Forte de Marmi to play with the kids at the beach.


I have been riding by this memorial to Alberto for 10 to 12 years.  It is on the road above Fiesole to L'Olmo, and the picture shows an old time cyclist.  I give it a Hi Alberto on each pass, but this is the first picture I have taken of it.  It reminds me of the picture of Telly Savalas at the base of the North Face Lift in Crested Butte, where most locals tap the front of the picture with a pole before going up.


The bell tower of the church on the way into Doccia.


Hay harvested in the foreground, then an olive orchard, with a beautiful villa in the background on the great piece of road from Doccia to the Molin de Vento.  (Windmill)

I have found a panini place very close to the apartment that serves cheeseburgers at a reasonable price.  I tried the burger for the first time last week, and after the climb to Monteloro, I was thinking cheeseburger and a beer all the way back.  Emily came with and it was great!  Ciao to whomever is reading this - I hope someone.  


1 comment:

  1. ciao to you too! well done. lots of folks read blogs and never comment.
    love,emily xo

    ReplyDelete