Monday, July 16, 2012

Quick ride to Monte Morello

One of the benefits of living in this area, which is so great for cycling, is having a number of 1 to 2 hour rides from home.  Today I went up Via Bolognese to Pratolino where I douse my head and refill water. From Pratolino, I take the back way to the road to Monte Morello, and proceed around this road.  With the exception of a couple of short but real climbs, it is a great contouring climb at around 2 to 3%, which for me means the big ring.  The first half of the descent is the same type of grade and road so you don't really need to touch the brakes.  The middle of the descent however, has a real steep drop for a couple of hundred vertical, then mellows out to around 10% descending.  It then enters around 8 full switchbacks, and the grade goes to around 6 to 8%, a real blast!  After the descent you are in Sesto Fiorentino, and today I had a tail wind to push me home on the city roads.  A ride of 39 kilometers in around 1 hour 35 minutes.


The gradual contouring climb through the forest at Monte Morello.


Another shot of the contouring climb.  I just love it when you can get in the big ring and climb.


Slow down!  Here is one of the 8 switchbacks on the descent into Sesto Fiorentino.


No comments:

Post a Comment