Friday, July 5, 2013

Late afternoon ride - 3 climbs, 3 descents, not much flat.

I had a day full of errands yesterday.  A big shopping trip to the COOP, the bakery, fruit stand, etc.  I caught up on bills, social media, got a haircut, and bought some new polo shirts.  The weather was suggesting showers around 3, and they basically happened.  I waited until 4 and took off.  The rain had stopped in Florence, and the sun was out, with the roads rapidly drying.  I rode a pretty standard ride for me.  Over to Le Cure, up to San Domenico on the Pallazulolo road, then up to the turn for Maiano, then down to the Chiesa San Martino.  The Vincigliata climb starts here, and it was great today.  I felt good but not great and clocked my 2nd fastest time.  At the junction above Vincigliata, I turned right and  descended down the steep, switch back road to Compiobbi.  A kilometer or so on the busy road, then a turn off for the climb to Monteloro.  Dark clouds ahead, but only a couple of kilometers worth of sprinkles.

I felt really great on the climb to Monteloro, and clocked a personal best.  Yes, I am now officially a Strava geek.  It rained a little more above Monteloro, but I enjoyed the climb.  I rode down the road to Fiesole which was wet but no rain for the remainder of the ride.  I turned off for the descent through Pian de Mugnone, expecting the road to be re-paved all the way.  A little dissapointment, as they are only about 1/2 the way done with this portion.  Give it a week and it will be perfect.  It was probably good anyway, as the roads were wet and I don't need to go really fast on wet roads.  Back into Firenze on Via Faentina.  A really great, fun, feel good ride for me.  27.2 miles in 2:08 for an average speed of 12.8 with a little over 3000 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 79.

Sorry, no pictures - I just wasn't thinking about pictures, although I did have the camera with me.  Ciao.

Vincigliata, Monteloro, Fiesole, Pian de Mugnone. by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment