Monday, July 8, 2013

My own Giro de Mugello, in the heat.

I got started late, after doing lots of whatever this morning, and found myself getting ready around 1:45.  I need to remember it is getting hot, and it does affect me.  I checked the weather, and it said the temperature would be 85 to 88 for all afternoon until 7 or so, so what the heck, off I go.  I checked the date for the last time I rode this tour, as I really like it, and thought I had done it recently.  Well, almost a month ago, and it was time to ride it again.  Good, strong climb up Via Bolognese to Pratolino, where I did my first head soaking and water refill.  Feeling a little cooler, I headed down through Vaglia to San Piero a Sieve, encountering a strong headwind, which certainly makes the descent a little harder, but the almost flat parts definitely require more effort.

I continued into the head wind to Scarperia, then had a cross wind for most of the way to San Agata, where I soaked the head and refilled water again.  Going to Galliano, suddenly, the wind was at my back, and I felt fast without lots of effort.  Ah - isn't a tail wind a good thing.  Connecting with the main road, then down to the Bosco Ai Frati turn, then the super fun ride across to San Piero.  On a pretty busy road toward Borgo San Lorenzo, then turning off to get the climb to Croce alla Vetta.  I had a definite tailwind, but not as much energy as usual, and was nowhere near a personal best - hitting 6th place for me.  I had thought the tail wind would do it, but no.  After Croce alla Vetta, a great, fun descent through Caldine, Pian de Mugnone, and into Firenze.  Fun ride after all.  46.4 miles in 3:04 rolling time for an average speed of 15.1 mph with 3510 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 88.  Ciao.

Pratolino, Vaglia, Scaperia, San Agata, Bosco Ai Frati, Croce alla Vetta by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

The beautiful approach to San Agata.



A couple of pictures toward the mountains where the Passo
della Futa and Passo Il Giglio are.


No comments:

Post a Comment