Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sette Ponte fun!

As I have a couple of days coming up at the Beach with Kate and the kids, I got another reasonably long ride in today.  I seem to always have one particular part of the ride in mind when I design my route.  Today, that was the Sette Ponte road, which is a real favorite of mine and a favorite of many local riders.  It is simply a wonderful road twisting, turning, a little up, a little down, but basically fast for around 12 kilometers.  It did not dissapoint today.  After feeling a little out of it for a portion of my ride yesterday, I resolved to hydrate even more today.  Yesterday, I drank around 1 gallon of water over 3 hours, but it was not enough.  It appeared to work, as I did not have any "down" spell, and it was hotter than yesterday.

I started out going by the shop to clarify rentals for a client ride next Wednesday, which was a good thing as there was some confusion between the shop and the client.  Hopefully it is all set now.  I ended up going out the viales then over to Bagno a Ripoli on my normal route.  From Bagno a Ripoli, there is a pretty steady climb to San Donato in Collina.  A great descent follows only broken by a 40 vertical meter climb just before Palazzolo.  I turn off to catch the bridge over the Arno, then climb on the other side to the turn off to Mattissino.  You descend a bit, then ride flats, climbing a little until you get around 2 kilometers from Castelfranco.  Then there is a short real climb followed by the Sette Ponte road.  By this time, I had already refilled the water bottle 3 times and soaked by head and helmet as well.  As I said above, Sette Ponte was perfect, then I stopped in Regello for a slice of pizza, cold, and a cafe machiato.

Refueled, I climbed then descended to Donnini, then did the final real climb to Tosi, another favorite of mine.  A super descent from Tosi to just before Pelago follows, then a short climb to Pelago.  After Pelago, more descending to Pontesieve, then a push into Firenze for around 20 k on a mostly flat road.  Another great ride here in Tuscany.  Remember I am here to guide you should you want to ride with Cosimo.  62.6 miles in 4:06 for an average speed of 15.3 mph with 4050 vertical feet of climbing at a pretty hot average temperature of 94.  I am thinking this will be the route for some clients next Wednesday.  Ciao for now.

Sette Ponte via San Donato, Castelfranco, Donnini, Tosi, Pelago by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details




A couple of pictures on the way up to San Donato
in Collina, the first climb of the day.


A monastery just before Castelfranco.  For some reason
I had never noticed it before.  


The beginning of the Sette Ponte route leaving Castelfranco.


No comments:

Post a Comment