Friday, February 1, 2013

Fun ride yesterday, great weather, lots of climbing

After class, I texted Emily that the weather was just too nice to meet with her friends for lunch and I was going for a ride.  I got ready, checked out the new bike, I just love to look at it, let alone ride it, and set off.  I rode out the viale to the road to Bagno a Ripoli, then climbed to San Donato in Collina.  I then descended through Troghi, Cellai, did the small climb to Pallazzuolo, then descended to the turn off on the west river road.  I rode along this road around half the way to Rignano sull'Arno, then took the small back road that climbs through Santa Maria to Bombone.  The pictures are from this climb.  There is one stretch at around 15% for around 300 vertical, which was difficult, but fine.  I definitely miss the 29 sprocket on the rear cassette, but the bike rides so nice it is totally worth it.  Perhaps I can find a 29 or 30 for the cassette.  From Bombone, I descended / climbed to Volognano, then descended to Rosano.

From Rosano, across the bridge to the outskirts of Pontesieve, then through Sieci to the turn for Monteloro.  The weather was holding, I love this road, and I guess I felt like an additional 1500 vertical of climbing.  The climb felt great, then I hooked up with the main road above Fiesole, then climbed to the L'Olmo road.  I descended through L'Olmo, Caldine, Pian de Mugnone, and back into town via Piazza della Cure.  The new bike really descends quickly and smoothly, I have to keep an eye on the speed, as it seems to want to get away from me a little.  The brakes do work well, thankfully.  The garmin link is below, but the summary is:  44.5 miles in 3:31 rolling time for an average speed of 12.6 mph, with 5050 vertical feet climbed at a wonderful average temperature of 58 degrees.  Fun!



Starting the climb to Santa Maria / Bombone.


A super green field on the climb.  It is the end of January.
I'm not in Crested Butte anymore.


The end of the difficult part of the climb.  Actually the stretch
before this one is the really steep part - approaching 20%.

No comments:

Post a Comment