Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I took my final exam for my Italian class this morning, and had most of the remainder of the day open.  The weather was mostly sunny, but a little chilly, in the 42 to 48 range.  I need to work on the course for the Gran Fondo coming up in a couple of weeks, so I did part of the course on the first part of the ride, then branched off for a ride I wanted to do.   I left home and took the Viales around town past Piazzale Michaelangelo to the turn for Tavernuzze.  I rode through Tavernuzze and stayed on the road for the climb to San Casciano.  Typically, I or we (the team), branch off to the right toward Greve, but the course for the Gran Fondo goes up to San Casciano.  After San Casciano, I took the left to Mercatale, then turned off for the road to Montefiridolfi.  A very fast descent, then a steep climb to the town.  I have to really watch the new bike, as it gets moving quite quickly.  

From Montefiridolfi, I took a ridge road through a couple of very small towns, then descend to the river valley around Bibbione.  At the valley floor, I take the main road back up to San Casciano.  During the Gran Fondo, we will be descending this portion.  From San Casciano, back through Spedellatto, Chiesa Nuova, then descend into Scandicci.  Through Scandicci to the Viales, then back home.  Nice to be out for more than an hour or two.  I need to step up the training if I want to have fun with the 130 kilometer course with lots of climbing.  

The garmin link is below, but the summary is:  39.3 miles in 2:53 rolling time for an average speed of 13.7, with 2840 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of around 48.  I am always guessing on the average temp, as the garmin information always has temperatures at the beginning which translate into the temperature in the apartment.  



An old stone farmhouse on the San Casciano climb.


Winter vineyards in the Montefiridolfi area.


The view across the valley on the San Casciano climb.


An old stone farmhouse around Montefiridolfi.


View of a church and small town in the Montefiridolfi area.

No comments:

Post a Comment