Friday, February 1, 2013

The weather was predicted to be rainy today, and waking up, it seemed to be on target.  It only sprinkled, misted really, for a little while, then it started to clear.  Well, I had a mostly open day, so I got it together and took off.  I rode out through the Cascine, the largest park in Florence, to a route that is mostly quiet back roads to a town called Signa, then through the town to Lastra a Signa, then climbed a small pass toward Ginestra Fiorentina.  At the top, I decided to ride over through Marliano to Vigliano, one of my favorite routes but I had never accessed it this way.  It was it's usual great climb.  It is a super quiet road, great scenery, and the skies really cleared while I climbed.  You climb to Santa Maria a Marciaola, then start a great descent to Scandicci.  I was really looking forward to the descent, as the new bike is super sweet on the downhills.  I started to go what for me is quite fast, around 60 kph (40 mph) then got hit with a side wind gust, which startled me and moved me sideways, so the remainder, most, of the descent I was pretty careful.  Still, really fun.  

Great ride, great weather.  The new bike is a gift I gave myself from my Mother's estate, and I am remembering her and kind of thinking she is along for the ride when I go.  So, thanks Mom, I am really enjoying the new ride.  Summary is 30 miles in 2:08 for an average of 13.8 mph, 1650 vertical climbed with an average temperature of 60.  Nice.  By the way, I had to be at Kate's to help with babysitting by 4:30, therefore the shorter ride today.  Here is the garmin link.



The beautiful road to Marliano.


Some of the scenery on the Marliano road.


More scenery from the Marliano portion of the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment