Monday, February 25, 2013

Sunday ride with changing weather

Well, with weather and a little bout with an intestinal bug, I have not posted or been out riding for a few days.  I awoke feeling much better, but it was in the mid 30's and raining lightly, so I opted out of the team ride, which would have been long as I would be doing the whole route for the gran fondo that comes up Saturday.  I waited for the weather to get better, finished a book, then took off for a short ride.  It felt great to be back on the bike.  It had only been 3 days off the bike, but it felt like a while.  Showers started almost as soon as I started, but I expected this and was dressed appropriately.  I took a different route from Piazza della Cure to San Domenico, which was fun.  There are 4 or 5 options for this 350 to 400 vertical climb, and variety is good.  I climbed from San Domenico to the Maiano turn off then descended through Maiano to San Martino chiesa, where I started the Vincigliata climb.  

Toward the top of the climb, I started seeing snow, and after taking the turn toward Fiesole, the snow on the ground increased.  The sun had returned and it was not snowing now, but there were really dark clouds to the northwest.  As I turned on the ridge road and descended toward Fiesole, the snow on the ground increased dramatically with the different exposure, with around 4 to 5 inches on the ground by the roads.  I descended to Fiesole, and the snow was absent there.  I took the turn and descended to the Mugnone then continued descending to Via Salviati.  I took the right turn here and did the short but quite steep climb to Via Bolognese.  This climb is included in the gran fondo, after 125 kilometers of riding, and I wanted to give it a shot.  Well, it is a little cruel, and I would guess it averages around 20% for 300 vertical feet - Ouch!  I descended on Via Bolognese to a little road that takes you back toward Piazza della Cure, then took the sottopassegiata to Via Faentina, then home.

Super variable weather, with showers, sun, grey skies, almost black skies and snow flurries alternating for the entire ride.  I love getting out, though.  It simply makes me a happy person.  Ciao.  Summary is 14.5 miles in 1:23 rolling time for an average speed of 10.4 mph with 1950 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 44.  Click the link below for more information.



The Chiesa San Lorenzo de Vincigliata, around 1/2 up the climb.


The climb above the church and the road below, just climbed.  
What a beautiful spot, even in the grey, rainy weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment