Saturday, August 17, 2013

A benchmark for the World Championship climb established.

I had a cancellation last night around 10:30 of a client tour today, a little frustrating, but I slept later and enjoyed going through the exhibition at the Strozzi with Emily after returning the rental bike I got for the client who cancelled.  I am going to try one of the big pools after finishing this post in Firenze this late afternoon, which left me a couple of hours for a ride in the middle or heat of the day.

I choose to incorporate the climb to Fiesole that will be part of the loop in Florence for the world championships.  It is newly paved, and really nice.  I was fast for me, and am somewhere around 45 out of 250 on strava after my effort today.  Not bad for an old man.  I pushed it pretty hard as I wanted a benchmark to see just how fast the pros ride.  Of course, they will be doing 11 laps instead of the one I did, although I did climb Monteloro later in the ride.  I was pretty winded in Fiesole, and did the whole water thing there before continuing the climb to the turn off to Compiobbi.  I really enjoyed the descent to Compiobbi, then climbed to Monteloro.  Always a great climb, but today, the water fountain had the spigot on top, disconnected.  Yikes, I was counting on that water.  I continued the climb to the L'Olmo road, then finished the climb before enjoying the descent through L'Olmo, Caldine, and Pian de Mugnone to Firenze.

There is a water source just as you return to the outskirts of Firenze, which I gratefully used.  Nice, fresh water is great on a hot day.  I finished the ride into town, and am now going swimming in 15 minutes or so.  Sounds good.  Ride summary is:  26 miles in 1:56 for an average speed of 13.4 mph with 2670 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 95.  Ciao.

World Championship climb plus Monteloro climb by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Riding in the shade on the climb to Monteloro.  An old water source in an
arch in the retaining wall, which for now I am calling a small grotto.


An example of how Florence empties out in August.  This picture of 
the parking below our apartment is empty.  Normally, it is totally
full of cars with double parking a typical condition.  


No comments:

Post a Comment