Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Escaping the apartment into the heat of the countryside.

I have had 10 straight days on the bike now, and I could probably use a break, but I will be off the bike starting Thursday for 5 days as we travel to Sardegna, hopefully away from the heat.  So, I was still on the bike today.  I did take it slow this morning, having my version of a big american breakfast, paying bills at the post office, and a trip to the grocery store.  I was off on the bike, after a long overdue chain / gear clean and lube for a short ride.  I don't think I have ridden this route in a while, and it is a super nice loop for a one hour or so ride from home.

I climb up Via Bolognese to Pian de San Bartolo, which is a relatively gentle climb with a maximum grade of around 7%.  It gets steeper just above the turn off.  The road over to Cercina is simply wonderful.  Tiny, pretty, a little bumpy in places, but virtually no traffic.  Descending, climbing, descending, then a final climb to the church above Cercina before taking the 3rd descent option.   I enjoyed the descent, then am back in the Carregi area in Florence.  I take a little detour that adds another 25 to 30 meters of climbing and takes you off the busy roads.  Then, I am basically home.

Ride summary is:  13.7 miles in 1:02 for an average speed of 13.2 mph with 1330 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 97.

Quick escape from the city in the heat by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details



A couple of pictures of the road to Cercina from San Bartolo in the 
heat of the day.  Still beautiful and fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment