Thursday, August 22, 2013

Nice ride in the Chianti hills, testing helmet mountings for the camera.

Another day playing with the new video camera.  I don't think I will post it here again, as when I looked, the quality was not good and it did not play smoothly.  I will try Youtube or something and see if I can do a link.  Stay tuned.  Anyway, the weather was so nice, I decided on a medium sized ride even with the camera testing.  I tried the camera on the side of my helmet and toward the end of the ride on the top.  I thought it would be best, as I naturally absorb shocks with my body as I ride, and figured it would be a smoother video.  Well, kind of, but not really.  Every move and tilt of the head makes it a little weird, and it messed up the balance of the helmet, and I think would eventually give me a sore neck.  I compared it with yesterday's video, and both Emily and I liked yesterday's better.  That is great, as it is easier to mount and use on the handlebars as well.  Also, when I get better with it, I will only use it a few times a year for promotional videos, and use it for clients as requested.

I rode out through Piazzale Michealangelo, then up to Poggio Imperiale.  I actually made it to the river and turned around, as my first position for the camera, on the side of the top tube, was not working at all.  So, I turned around and figured how to use the helmet mount.  Anyway, from Poggio Imperiale to Galluzzo, then up to Impruneta on the main road.  I took the descent toward Ferrone that puts you on the main road for 100 meters or so before the Luiano turn off, which I took.  I enjoyed the climb through Luiano, and up the the Mercatale road.  I rode into San Casciano on a stretch of road that is gorgeous.

I descended from San Casciano on the main road and took the turn to Ponterotto, finishing the descent at the Pesa river.  I enjoyed the climb to San Pancrazio, on a very nice and shady road, but was starting to feel a little tired.  I think I needed the break I am taking today after 9 days in a row on the bike.  More water in San Pancrazio, then over on the ridge to the turn off at La Ripa.  I rode down to Cerbia, then took a break and took the camera off the helmet, as my neck was getting sore.  Just a little ways up the hill to Chiesa Nuova, I stopped and mounted the camera to the helmet in the middle, and tried that for the remainder of the ride.  Water at the best spot around in Chiesa Nuova, then over / down on the ridge, taking the turn to Scandicci.  I enjoyed the descent, then powered through some fatigue home in Firenze.  Summary is:  43.9 miles in 3:09 rolling time for an average speed of 13.9 mph with 3460 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 88.

Testing video to the South - perfect weather for a ride in Chianti by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

I loved the way the gate and trees framed the villa beyond.  Yes, 
it was windy.


A nice view of the vineyards between Mercatale and San Casciano.


No comments:

Post a Comment