Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Chianti figure 8 with two passes - Sweet!

After a short ride yesterday, I decided on something a little longer today.  We are leaving tomorrow for a week or so, so this is probably my last ride for 6 days or so.  Aside from some complications, we are looking forward to getting out of the heat of the city and seeing Sardinia for the first time.  I was out riding by around 9:45, as the personal complications took a little time this morning.  We are dog-sitting for someone, and the person who was to take the dog while we are gone had some problems, not her fault, the dog in going into heat, and she has other male dogs around.  Not a good combination.  Anyway, it took a little longer to exit with a number of discussions about what we were going to do.  As I write this, all has been solved, and we are relieved to have everything under control.

I rode out through Poggio Imperiale, then down to Galluzzo, then up the main road to Impruneta.  With the help of a couple of old guys, I found a new water source, as the one I was using was not very cold. They pointed and said new water fountain, molto fresco or very cold.  I found it and it was indeed cold and refreshing.  With the heat, I am doing all I can to keep hydrated.  I rode from Impruneta over to Strada, then down to start the climb to Poggio alla Croce, going through San Polo.  The road to San Polo has had work going on for a while, and it is complete and well done.  It is a nice climb, never too steep and I can keep a good pace going there.  After San Polo, the climb ramps up pretty good, and probably averages around 7% with some 10% sections.  I exited at the top of the hill, found a water source, and did the whole water routine.

I descended to Brollo, and easily found the road over to the Passo de Sugame climb.  I had ridden this road a number of times many years ago, but it has been at least 6 years since I had been on it.  Well, I will return sooner, as I loved the road and the route.  To have both the Poggio alla Croce climb and the Passo de Sugame climb is really fun.  I climbed up through Dudda, and turned off to go to La Panca, then down to Strada on the super fun descent there.  I got more water in Strada, then caught the road to Ferrone, and hooked up with the Luiano climb.  A great climb as always, and into San Casciano before I knew it.  Over to Chiesa Nuova for more water at the best fountain in Chianti, then down the switchbacks to Galluzzo.  From Galluzzo, I hooked up with the  Cinque Vie road, and back into Firenze.  Fun ride, and it did not get too hot until the last 45 minutes or so.

Ride summary is:  62.1 miles in 4:15 rolling time for an average speed of 14.6 mph with 4740 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 95.  Ciao.  It will probably be a week or so until the next post.

Chianti figure 8 - two passes by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

A nice, tree lined road leaving Impruneta.


What a fun, tiny, beautiful road connecting the road to Poggio
alla Croce and the road to Passo de Sugame.


The view to the east from the Brollo / San Martino road.


A view to the South East from the Brollo / San Martino road.


No comments:

Post a Comment