Friday, August 16, 2013

Nice morning tour in the close in Chianti hills.

The heat is back!  I was not into rushing this morning, so I had a leisurely breakfast, then Em and I planned our day - a trip to IKEA using Kate's car after the ride - then I was off for a short-ish ride.  I went out on the Viales, past Piazzale Michaelangelo, then up to Poggio Imperiale.  A nice ridge ride then descent to Galluzzo, where I turned toward Impruneta, but took the turn to take the road to Cinque Vie.  Over the bridge and under the highway, then here is the climb to Vacciano and San Gersole.  It is steep in places, but a tiny road and I think, super scenic.  Needless to say, I love this climb.  I caught the main road to Impruneta, then turned off to descend to Tavernuzze through Bagnolo.

I used to ride this descent often, but I have fallen in love with the route through Barufi, but the Bagnolo descent is really nice.  The road is busier, but in much better shape, so you can let it go more.  From Tavernuzze, out the main road to the turn off to San Andrea in Percussina, a good climb that hits 15 to 20% in places, but beautiful.  San Andrea is where Machiavelli was exiled too in the 1500's.  After San Andrea, you join the road to Chiesa Nuova, and I had to stop at the fountain for some fresh, cold water.  I met another rider there who said (In Italian) this is always the best water around.  I had to agree, but took off for my return.  I rode to the top of the hill above Scandicci, and took the little used road down into town.  I had not ridden this in a while and it was fun.  From Scandicci, back to the apartment on the main roads.  Lots of fun.

Ride summary is:  32.4 miles in 2:21 rolling time for and average speed of 13.8 mph with 2150 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 90.  Ciao.

Close in Chianti hills by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

I love this church in Vacciano on the way to San Gersole.


The beautiful, tiny road above the Vacciano church.


Approaching the church in San Gersole.


The Villa Mangiacane above San Andrea in Percussina.


No comments:

Post a Comment