Friday, September 6, 2013

Final tune up ride before the gran fondo Sunday.

Emily is babysitting all day, and my only commitments are to pick up Viola at 4 and to get some food for dinner.  A quick outing took care of the food, and the need to keep my ride under 4 hours takes care of the second.  It will be interesting picking up Viola today, as last year we used a stroller, which she had totally outgrown by the end of the year.  Still, it is the first week of school, and she will be tired, and we will have to walk around 1/2 mile to the bus stop.  I am sure it will be fine, just interesting.  She can still do a total meltdown, which is not fun for either of us, but with a little planning and if I am reasonable, that will be avoided.

I was out riding by 10:30, which is early enough to not get the heat of the day.  I rode out through the Cascine, then the back way to Lastra a Signa, then over on the river road to Montelupo.  I wanted a relatively long ride, but wanted to keep the pace under control and keep it mostly flat.  I don't know if 2200 vertical is mostly flat most places, but it qualifies here.  I did some searching for the water in Montelupo, as the last place I used it was not there anymore.  I did find a new location with purified, refrigerated water.  Nice.  I rode over through Sammontana and turned on the main road to Ortimino.  It is a lovely road and very nice and peaceful today.  The climb to Ortimino seemed to be over before I realized it was under way, which is nice.  I then enjoyed the ridge climb to Montespertoli, then found the new purified, refrigerated water source there.  Descending to Bacciano, then climbing to Montagnana, then descending to Cerbia was next.  I climbed to Chiesa Nuova, enjoyed water at the top, and I think kept the pace under control.

I did the switchbacks to Galluzzo, as I was doing a video today, and wanted this part in the video.  It is included below.  I climbed Poggio Imperiale from Galluzzo, then rode home on Viale Michaelangelo.  Great day, great ride.  Summary is:  53 miles in 3:24 rolling time for an average speed of 15.6 mph with 2180 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 88.  Love it!

Cascine, Montelupo, Ortomino, Montespertoli by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details


No comments:

Post a Comment