Monday, September 2, 2013

Sette Ponte on a perfect early September day.

I had a great day today taking out a former pro / elite level racer from Illinois.  We hooked up through the team / club, and met at the shop at 9, then were off.  We did one of my favorite rides, and if anything, with the exception of the last climb, I was holding Tony back.  He is a year or so older than I, which actually felt good for a change, but as a former top level US racer, he had that kind of strength in him, which was pretty evident.  We rode out through Bagno a Ripoli then up the hill to San Donato in Collina, where we refreshed water.  A thrilling descent to the turn off to cross the arno then the short climb to the semi industrial road on by the highway.  Tony really enjoyed the descent, and said that he really doesn't get much in the way of hills, so he wasn't into passing me on the descents.

We made our way to the road to Castelfranco, where the traffic and nature of the road changed back to perfect Tuscany.  After more water in Castelfranco, we were on the Sette Ponte road, always a blast.  It certainly never disappoints me, and Tony was thrilled with the ride.  Somewhere after Reggelo, on the way to Donnini, an Italian rider joined us, and I was surprised that my Italian worked enough to communicate with him what we were doing and we stayed together.  On the climb to Tosi, he had a slow leak flat, which we helped with a pump in a number of places on the way to Pelago, where he lived.  He asked for my cell number and wanted to ride together again, so it must have worked well.

We stopped for a cafe in Pelago, then enjoyed the descent to Pontesieve before working together to power our way home.  I took him to my cheeseburger and beer place close to home, then we met later with wives for an aperitivo and he gave me an old jersey from his racing days.  Pretty cool.  Enjoyed the day, thanks Tony.

Sette Ponte with Tony from Illinois by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details




A couple of shots on the ride to Castelsopra.  


Here is Tony with a beautiful view from the Sette Ponte road.


No comments:

Post a Comment