Saturday, December 29, 2012

Fun, hard ride with the team. Ciao for 3 weeks.

I was up and out the door by 9:10 this morning to meet with the team for a ride.  Only 4 of us showed up, which is a pretty normal turnout for this time of year.  We had relatively perfect weather, with sunny skies and highs around 50.  We met a Illiopesca, around 5 k from the apartment, then went our normal back route to Lastra a Signa, then on the river road to Montelupo.  From Montelupo, we went out toward Vinci, but turned off just before the Vinci climb and went on some new roads for me, making the day into a lollipop course.  We went through Bassa, Fucecchio, and up to Cerreto Guidi.  It was quite pretty here and the only real climb of the day.  From Cerreto Guidi, we descended back to the road to Vinci, and joined the route we took out within a few hundred meters.  Then we simply followed the same route home.

It was a hard ride for me, as we started with one other person who was about my speed, a little slower today, and also, aside from me, the oldest member of the squadra.  He turned off before Empoli, and then I was with two young hammers for the remainder of the ride.  They really worked me, but when I dropped off, only a few times, they eventually slowed to get us back together.  The area we were riding was full of teams out this morning, and at times we were leading groups of up to 40.  I was hoping at times we would fall in behind some of the others, but after trying this, the two would pass everyone, then the group would stay with us or break apart.  All that said, it was very fun.  It is really cool to be a part of the group cycling scene here.  This morning we probably saw 15 other teams out for rides.  The quick summary is:  62 miles in 3:28 rolling time for an average of 17.8 mph, with 1320 vertical feet climbed.  Here is the Garmin link.

Fast ride with the team - the last for at least 3 weeks - they worked me. by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

I am off to Denver tomorrow morning for a planned 3 weeks, as my Mother's health is truly failing.  I will check in with the blog from time to time, but it will not be about rides.  I will be back here, I hope, in 3 weeks and back on the bike then.  Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment