Wednesday, December 12, 2012

With the grandkids staying with us for a day plus, this was a quick escape

A couple of days without a post - it is probably a relief for some, but I'm back.  Monday, I did a great hike / walk, and tried the Garmin, but it was erratic and probably not made for a walk.  A good walk anyway, it was around 35, raining lightly, and I need to explore some of the many close in roads with vertical to keep my exersize jones happy.  Yesterday, I did get out for a ride, a couple of hours that I did not have planned. Kate left the kids with us for a day and one half, while she and Nicco went to Rome to be in the audience for a taping of a show that is Nicco's favorite - it is a political panel talk show, and this was his birthday present from Kate.  We had a lot of fun with the kids, but at almost 2 and 4 they have and take huge amounts of energy.  I planned on staying home, but when Torrio went to nap, and Viola was having quiet time, Emily encouraged me to get out.  She knows I am a much happier camper when I get out.  I thought it would be too cold, as it was around 35 the last time I was out, but the sun warmed it up to the mid 40's, and in the sun it was quite pleasant.

I rode up the back way to San Domenico, then took the main road up through Fiesole to the turn off for Vincigliata.  I took this and went past Vincigliata to Montebeni, where I descended to Settignano.  I had not been down here many times, and am looking for more close in climbs / riding.  I found an excellent route down, and looking at the map, it appears that I have 3 options there.  I then looked for the climb to Vincigliata, and ended up finding the road to Maiano.  But a little ways up this road, it connects with my normal route to climb Vincigliata, but I checked out where the road hits the Settignano road, and connected it all in my head.  Anyway, I then climbed the Vincigliata road, a standard for me, to the road over to Fiesole, then turned off there to descend to Pian de Mugnone, then took Via Faentina back to town.  It will work well for the winter, no snow at these altitudes, lots of climbing and fun roads.

Check the link for the details, but the summary is:  19.5 miles in 1:48 for an average speed of 10.8, with 2400 vertical feet of climbing.  Sweet!

With the grandkids staying with us for a day plus, this was a quick escape by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details


What a beautiful day.  These photos are on the Vincigliata climb.
Road, views, etc.  Hope you all like it!




No comments:

Post a Comment