Friday, May 17, 2013

Fun afternoon ride running from the weather.

I am planning a pretty big ride with the team tomorrow, but the weather was supposed to clear this afternoon, and I planned a 4 hour ride today.  The weather did clear, but some rain showers sort of followed me around, and suggested to me to change the plan, which I did.  I started out on the Viales, then out the Cascine and over on the back roads to Signa, then Lastra a Signa.  I stopped in Signa, as it started raining and there was perfect shelter.  I only waited around 10 minutes and started back up.  I changed the original plan here, as the weather in the direction of Montelupo looked ominous.  I decided to go up the little pass toward Ginestra.  At the top of the pass, I turned off and climbed over to Marliano, then over the highway, then descended on a different route to Ginestra Fiorentina.  It was a great route, and I will use it again, perhaps with clients.

From Ginestra, I took the road over to Bacciano, then climbed to Montagnana, then descended to Cerbia, then climbed to Chiesa Nuova.  Great climbs and descents all.  I am still hitting personal bests on around 1/2 to 2/3 of my climbs, and am finding joy in riding fast (for me) up hills.  From Chiesa Nuova, over on the ridge, then descending the switchbacks down to Galluzzo.  I almost stayed with a mercedes sports car on the descent!  At Galluzzo, I rode over to the cut off to Poggio Imperiale, then made that climb, then descended to the Viale Michangelo.  Descended on the Viale - I used to call this the "victory lap", as it is a beautiful tree lined street, curvy and fun.  From there, home the normal way on the Viales.

Good fun ride.  Tomorrow should beat me up a little, but as I am planning on the Firenze / Modena raduno on June 2, I need to step up the distance and climbing.  Firenze / Modena is 185 k with 10,500 vertical feet of climbing.  Today's summary is:  40.9 miles in 2:44 for an average speed of 14.9 mph with 2250 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 66.

Riding away from weather - plan b or c - still fun! by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details


Two views to the south from Montagnana.  Yes, I was either
chasing good weather or running from rain showers.


No comments:

Post a Comment