Friday, November 29, 2013

Nice fast ride on a busy day, beautiful day and weather.

Another very busy, but really great day here.  Class this morning, which I am honestly struggling with. I am the least fluent of all the people in the class, and it is difficult at times.  I am believing that it is good for me, and even if I don't catch all of what is said or asked for, the attempt is good and perhaps I will come to understand people when they talk faster from the experience.  In the meantime, I am learning more grammar rules, and more words every day.  Now, I just have to retain the words that I learn.  I am thinking of a different approach after the class so we will see.  Emily and I are having a dinner party with our "fanciest" guests on Saturday.  Nicco's parents and his brother Buonacorso's in-laws will be coming.  Both couples are pretty wealthy, and have had us over multiple times.  When we are at their respective houses, there are multiple people cooking and serving, so what we will present will be a little different.  Anyway, I picked up some food from the butcher and cleaned the kitchen and bathroom for the upcoming party, tomorrow night.

I had time for a ride, and originally thought I could fit in a couple of hours, but by the time I was on the road, that was obviously not correct.  I picked up Viola from school today, which means I leave here by 3:45, and I wanted to eat and shower first.  So, an hour plus ride worked fine.  Yesterday when I was climbing Via Faentina, I thought I had not climbed to Fiesole from Pian de Mugnone for quite some time.  Well, that is how I started my ride.  I continued climbing above Fiesole, and turned off to go toward Vincigliata, but stayed on the road to Montebeni, then turned off to descend toward Settignano. There are a number of options on this descent, and I have developed a favorite, even though I don't ride this that often.  The way I go has 3 very steep spots, I would guess 25% plus, but they are relatively short.  The road is tiny, and although it is two way, it is a tight fit for a small car alone.  Add it all up and you need to stay totally present and aware to stay safe and have fun.

I loved it.  From where you hook back into the main road from Settignano to Firenze, it is just a crank on home.  Definitely the warmest day in a while, with beautiful blue skies and excellent light.  As we used to say in both Crested Butte and Telluride, just another day in paradise.  So fun.  12.8 miles in 1:02 rolling time for an average speed of 12.3 mph with 1265 vertical feet of climbing at an average (sun effected) temperature of 53.

Cure, Pian de Mugnone, Fiesole, Montebeni, Settignano, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details




Another view from the same location a little more directly north.


This is the tiny road descending toward Firenze from Settignano.


Looking back up the road toward Settignano.  
This little road is a blast, but you really
have to stay aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment