Monday, November 18, 2013

Quick morning ride between commitments.

I stopped by the shop late last week to see if my new free wheel hub was in, and it was.  I set up an appointment for this morning to get it installed.  The second mechanic is on vacation, so the main mechanic was too busy to do it the day I learned it was at the shop.  Anyway, he installed it while I waited and within 10 minutes, I was finally set.  The old one was shot - rusted and making what I consider a nasty noise.  Well, finally the noise is gone, and everything seems to be working more smoothly mechanically.  I have a fulcrum wheelset, and they ordered the free wheel hub to go with the fulcrum, which means it is a Campy, so it does have the louder "ratchet" noise that is typical on a Campy free wheel hub, but this is fine.  I had committed to babysit for Kate at one, so I had a couple of hours to sneak in a ride.

I chose a ride I thought would be around 1-1/2 hours, but was shorter.  I went up the main road to Fiesole, which I rarely do, and enjoyed the climb.  I stayed on this road through Fiesole and continued the climb to the turn off just before the pass.  I turned off and descended on Via Faentina all the way home through Caldine, Pian de Mugnone, and Le Cure.  The weather was surprisingly nice and warmish.  The ride was 17.9 miles in 1:15 rolling time for an average speed of 14.3 mph with 1555 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 62.

I enjoyed the quick work out and was home in time to relax a little before going to Kate's for babysitting.  Torrio, the younger of our two grandchildren, is almost 3 and is really fun to be around these days.  He is just excited and exuberant about almost everything.  The down side is he shows the same exuberance with being angry or crying when that is going on, but the vast majority of the time it is positive energy, which is simply fun to be around.

Fiesole, Olmo, Caldine, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details




A couple of pictures from the ride above Fiesole on a very nice morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment