Monday, December 30, 2013

A quick ride on a busy day. Trying to chase off the blues.

We are off to the movies this afternoon and evening, with a dinner in between, so I got out for a couple of hours before all the action.  I have been feeling low on energy lately, and with a little thought today, I figured it out.  My mother died a year ago, and my dad died 14 years ago, both right around this time of year.  My mom passed away a year ago tonight, and my dad on the 23rd.  Anyway, it is reasonable to feel a little down and I guess that takes some energy away.  That's my excuse, but I am still getting out, which helps me in all ways.

I did a ride I often do today when I have this much time.  I rode up Via Bolognese to Pratolino, then turned off and took the little connector road to the Monte Morello road, of course stopping for water at one of the best fountains in the area.  Once on the Monte Morello road, I just continued climbing and enjoyed the views and the lack of wind when I was sheltered.  After the top, I was directly into the wind for a while, and it pretty much nullifies the downhill grade.  I still enjoyed, and when I got to the steep part of the descent, the wind was gone, as I was in the woods and had changed direction.  I finished the descent, then powered home on the city roads for the final 8 kilometers.  27.3 miles in 1:42 rolling time for an average speed of 13.1 mph with 2113 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 53.  Quite nice.

Pratolino, Monte Morello, Sesto, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Between Pratolino and the Monte Morello road, you come 
through this little village.  I don't even know the name.


Looking to the east climbing Monte Morello.


Looking to the southeast on the Monte Morello climb.


No comments:

Post a Comment