Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Another busy day, but time for a 3 hour ride. Happy New Year!

We have a busy New Years Eve today, but the busyness does not start until 3 or so, so, I had plenty of time for a nice ride.  I am having a hard time getting started early, but was out today around 10:15.  I decided on a 3 hour ride as I need to be ready to leave by 3.  I had many options in mind when I started, but am very happy with my decisions.  I started by taking one of the back ways from Le Cure to San Domenico, then up to the cut off to descend through Maiano, then down to the start of the Vincigliata climb.  I enjoyed the climb, which is always a challenge as there is a portion of around 1000 vertical feet that averages over 10%.  At the top, I rode over to the Fiesole / Olmo road, then enjoyed the very gradual climb to the turn off for Sieci, which ends in a little steep climb to the top.

A very fast descent is next, and the roads were dry, so I could go pretty fast.  I cut off to do the up and down contour road through Santa Brigida, Fornello, and Doccia, ending at the windmill.  This is a very pretty road and lots of fun, and I don't ride it that often any more.  I descended almost to Rufina, but turned off on the "Pope's road" and head back to Pontesieve.  What a pretty road and a fun ride this is.  Tiny road, very little traffic, and a pretty good surface.  From Pontesieve, it is the power push home to Firenze.  What a fun ride.  38.5 miles in 2:54 for an average speed of 13.3 mph with 3435 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 51.  This ends a great year of riding for me and the Strava site gives you totals for the year.  I rode 16,390 kilometers (10,184 miles) with 226,572 vertical meters climbed (743,346 vertical feet) in 246 rides.  It will be interesting to see what next years totals are.  Happy New Year to all out there in Blog land.  Thanks for reading my ramblings.

San Domenico, Vincigliata, Olmo, Doccia, Pontesieve, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Here are a few pictures between Santa Brigida and Doccia.


I loved the sky in this one.


What a pleasure to have the opportunity to ride these amazing little roads.


No comments:

Post a Comment