Thursday, December 5, 2013

Another perfect early December ride - long and solo today.

No class this morning, so I had time for my big American breakfast, which I love, some errands, catching up on bills and emails, and time to give the bike a thorough cleaning, which it needed.  I was still on the road by 11:30, and started by finding the location for a party where I will be Santa Claus for 50 little kids on Saturday morning.  It was pretty easy to find as I was pretty sure I knew where it was, but it is a 10 to 15 minute ride on the road bike, so I will give it 25 minutes on the townie.  After locating the party spot, I returned to ride out the Cascine then out to Signa a Lastra on my normal route.  From Signa, I rode out to the Ombrone valley, then up to Comeana, La Serra, and Carmignano.  This is a little climb, but after Carmignano, the climb gets harder.  It is a really beautiful climb though, and today it was pretty warm and I enjoyed the climb.

I planned on getting to San Baronto on this ride, so I did not stop at Pinone at the top of the climb for a cafe.  I descended to Vitolini, which is simply a classic.  Super fun, not too fast, good road surface, just right.  From Vitolini, I descended to the climb to Vinci, then the climb to San Baronto starts.  This is a total classic climb, not steep almost anywhere, but pretty long with around 400 meters of elevation gain.  At the top in San Baronto, I did stop for a cafe and a slice of crostata, which was needed.  I descended to Quaratta, then had 30 kilometers or so of basically flat terrain on relatively busy roads.  This is part of the route that was the time trial for the World Championships, and I worked it pretty hard solo.  I kept a speed of around 33 to 35 kilometers per hour for most of the way when not needing to slow for traffic or a bus that I basically rode back into Firenze with.  I actually enjoyed the work and pushed it pretty hard for me.  I was pretty beat upon my return and treated myself to a cheeseburger and a beer at our local bar / panini spot.  61.7 miles in 4:05 rolling time for an average speed of 15.1 mph with 3045 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 49.

Signa, Carmignano, Pinone, San Baronto, Quaratta, Firenze. by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Looking up toward Monte Albano on the climb from Carmignano to Pinone.


This is the view of the valley below from the start of the descent 
from San Baronto.  With inversions, burning olive tree slash, and 
fires for warmth, it was pretty hazy in the valleys.


No comments:

Post a Comment