Sunday, December 22, 2013

In and out of the fog in the Chianti hills.

I had a nice relaxed morning with my big American breakfast, then got out for a ride, hoping the weather would be as nice as yesterday.  It certainly looked it in Florence.  I started out in sunshine, but as I climbed from Osteria Nuova to San Donato in Collina, I climbed into a light mist and fog.  I think this happened the last time I rode up here, and was wondering if this was typical.  I dropped out of the fog, but not the clouds as I rode through Troghi, Cellai, Palazzuolo, and Incisa on the way to Figline.  There seemed to be the possibility of sunshine at this point, but it did not happen.  As I climbed up Passo de Sugame, I re-entered the fog zone, thus disproving by theory about San Donato in Collina.

It was a great climb, and it was foggy in La Panca, and the roads were wet, so I took it slow on the way down.  At one point, two riders passed me, but soon I saw one of them have a back wheel fishtail, and I then caught back up with them and followed them down.  Around 1/2 the way down the roads dried out, then it was game on.  What a fun descent this is.  From the bottom of the descent you climb to Strada in Chianti, then over on a ridge which is a pretty fast power ride, then you descend into Grassina.  From there it is in town roads to Cinque Vie, then the back way to the Viales.  From there, it is a 4 kilometer push to the apartment.  All in all, a very nice ride on a cool, cloudy, foggy day.  The clouds had enveloped Florence while I was gone.  46.1 miles in 3:14 rolling time for an average speed of 14.2 mph with 3465 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 51.

Via Carota, San Donato, Figline, La Panca, Grassina, Cinque Vie, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

A beautiful road and I have dropped out of the fog for now.


I like the light in the fog.  This is on the way from Cellai to Incisa.


The fog awaits on the way to La Panca.


Almost back into the fog on the way to La Panca.


No comments:

Post a Comment