Friday, April 24, 2015

Day 8 with Don and Kay, Sette Ponte, Vallombrosa, Firenze - a classic.

Pretty long ride today, but really nice.  I am quite congested with a cold, but riding usually clears it up, which it did today.  Last night was a little tough, as I woke around 2 am believing someone had put ready-mix concrete in my nose.  Probably more than anyone wants to know, but I kind of go with whatever flow seems to be in my brain when I write these posts here.  Last year when Don and Kay were here, we tried the same ride, but omitted the climb to Saltino and Vallombrosa.  It is a tribute to Kay's increased fitness this year that we did the bigger ride today.  It is not easy, but it is what I would call a local classic.  It has it all.  Great climbs, awesome descents, fabulous views, perfect twisty roads, everything.  So great day today, Team Vecchio, as Don, Kay, and I used to call ourselves when I lived in Crested Butte.  107 kilometers in 4:55 with 1650 meters climbed.  Great day.


Don and Kay at the beautiful old gate at Castlefranco di Sopra.
The sette ponte road, our objective for the day starts in a kilometer 
or so from here.  Sweet!


Here comes Donnie C.


Don completing the climb to Saltino.


The vineyards are just starting to burst with leaves.  Kind of pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment