Friday, September 28, 2012

Maiano, Vincigliata, San Bartolo

I had a full day yesterday.  Alice is visiting from CB, and I spent the morning with Emily and Alice first going to the Bargello, a very famous museum known mostly for sculpture, in particular, that of Michaelangelo and Donatello.  After the museum, we met Kate and Vittorio for lunch, then I took off to get a ride in before we met up later to see a piano concert at the Pitti Palace.  I just snuck a ride in between other things, and did one of my favorite short rides. Riding up the back way to San Domenico, toward Fiesole, turning off to Maiano, the down to San Martino.  From there, the second and longer climb begins.  I rode this last week with Brenda, a client from Gunnison, and today it was fun alone.  I love the climb, and the weather was cloudy and relatively cool, which I really enjoy when riding in the woods.  It's kind of spooky and fun.  After the climb, I descended through Fiesole, taking the turn down to San Bartolo, enjoying the descent before turning on Via Faentina for the gradual descent back home.  No pictures today, as I was hurrying to get everything in.

The concert at the Pitti Palace was really great.  A solo pianist doing a couple of Debussy pieces, followed by a Shubert piece, and finishing with a piece by List.  He did a couple of encores, and the last one was Bohemian Rhapsody, by 10 cc, which I used to listen to in college in the early 70's.  It was a fun finish to a very nice, free, concert.  It is also very enjoyable to be able to attend this type of event in such a beautiful room.

As always, the following link will give you a map and all the details anyone would ever want to know about my ride.

Maiano, Vincigliata, San Bartolo by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment