Saturday, January 31, 2015

Trip to Lucca and a nice Saturday late morning ride.

I had enough time today for a real ride, and was out a little over 2 hours, which is my longest ride in a week.  I am used to much more riding, but it is really nice having our son, Ben, visit, and it is worth not being on the bike so much to spend time with him.  I have really gotten used to a fair amount of time in the saddle though, and I do miss it.  Looking at the weather from the apartment, I changed my route choice as my planned direction looked rainy.  The forecast is for more rain this afternoon anyway.  I ended up going out through Ponte a Ema, up Via Carota, through San Donato in Collina, Cellai, Bombone, Rosano, Sieci then home.  I really like this ride and it was nice today.   The ride was 54.1 kilometers in 2:20 for an average of 23.1 kph with 705 meters of climbing.  It seems that it will take me a little time to get back in form with even a couple of weeks of little riding at a slow pace.  I needed to back off, though, so I am believing this will be good for me in the long run.  My first real competitive event is in the middle of April, but after that there are around 4 in 8 weeks.  So, it will be a good time to get it going early next week.



Yesterday, Ben, Emily and I went to Lucca for the day.  This is in front of the Duomo there on a grey and cold day.  We had a very nice time though, and met Kate for lunch.  After lunch, we visited Massimo's house, which was beautiful, and I picked up the bike that Massimo, who is Kate's boss, offered to me and I will use in the Eroica, if I am selected in the lottery.  I have to enter the lottery for a spot soon.  Until a few weeks ago, when the rules changed, I was automatically eligible based on my over 60 age.  They just changed the exemption to over 65, and now I have a bike to use.  It needs a little work, although not too much.  I was totally surprised that everything is working.  I will post another time with pictures, etc. of the Eroica bike, a 1974 Bianchi race bike.  Sweeeeeeeet!


The light struck me as beautiful on the way up Via Carota, so I stopped to take this picture.  
I think it was worth the stop.


 A peak a boo shot through the olive groves to a beautiful villa on the climb up Via Carota.


No comments:

Post a Comment