Sunday, March 9, 2014

Perfect spring tour in Chianti with a couple of team members.

I rode with the team this morning, and only 3 of us showed up along with Moreno to see us off.  I saw Moreno last week for the first time since I saw him in the hospital, and he is looking better all the time.  I asked and he said he thought he could be back on the bike at the end of April, which is not so far off.  It will be good to get him back out there, as he is a consistent participant and a great rider.  Alessio, Andrea, and I had a really nice tour out in Chianti today.  We started by going to Tavernuzze, then out the main route to Greve.  We kept to a pretty good pace, and stayed together while catching some others, and then following one person most of the way.

At Greve, I pushed pretty hard on the climb, and ended up with the person we followed for a ways all the way to the top.  He beat me up there by a few seconds, I will admit.  I had time for a cafe, water bottle refill, and a little hanging out before Alessio and Andrea showed up.  I know Alessio is faster than Andrea, but he told me he just stayed with Andrea and enjoyed the climb.  I thought, that is a good idea, and followed the example for the remainder of the day.  The descent to the La Piazza turn-off was great, and I really enjoyed the very mellow, social pace up to La Piazza, then San Donato.  We pushed the downhill pretty well, and cruised through the valley to the San Casciano climb.  I almost took off to stay with a group that passed us at the start of the climb, and both Alessio and Andrea were saying go Mark, but I declined and rode with them up the hill.  Again, I enjoyed the super mellow pace.

We descended to Falciani, then rode back in through Tavernuzze.  For the second week in a row, while riding quite fast in a group, I hit a pretty big bump / hole and flatted my front tire.  Both times I had pumped up the pressure pretty high, and perhaps that makes the unseen holes cause a flat easier.  I will have to think about it.  Both times, we were going pretty fast and I did not see the hole until I heard / felt the impact.  No real problem, I had a new tube and pump and repaired the tire after telling the others to go ahead.  We were only 7 kilometers from home and they probably needed to turn off earlier than I anyway.  What a perfect spring day for a ride.  As I said on the ride, Mi amo primavera!  60.8 miles in 3:50 rolling time for an average speed of 15.8 mph with 3622 vertical feet of climbing at a sun effected average temperature of 62.

Tavernuzze, Panzano, La Piazza, San Casciano, Falciani, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

A few cyclists replenish their water supply at the fountain in Panzano.


Looking back at the main intersection in Panzano. 
The old town is up to the left, but this is where all
the cyclists cruise to / through.


Andrea and Alessio starting the climb toward La Piazza.
What a beautiful day!


I loved these stone buildings climbing above La Piazza.


No comments:

Post a Comment