Saturday, March 15, 2014

"Recovery" ride with lots of climbing in a short distance.

After a morning of errands and cleaning, my attempt for a day off from riding fizzled.  The weather is just too nice, and I am feeling very fit and have energy, so, why not?  I rode out through Le Cure, then up Via Palazzuolo to San Domenico.  I joined the Fiesole road, then descended through Maiano to the start of the Vincigliata climb.  Always a fun, but challenging climb, today it felt good.  I was definitely not pushing the pace, which is probably part of why it felt so good.  I took the road over to the Fiesole / Olmo road, and enjoyed the mellow climb to Croce alla Vetta.  I continued over toward Bivigliano, but took the turn off to Pratolino.  I got some water - excellent water and one of the more scenic fountains around here - then rode over to the Monte Morello road.  I turned left to descend down to the Cercina road, then took it over to the first descent option.  A good descent, then my now normal route through and around Careggi.

There is a huge manifestazione today, and roads are closed all around the apartment.  This simply meant that I had to add the little climb up Via Trieste at the end of the ride.  Great ride on another great day.  24.5 miles in 1:57 rolling time for an average speed of 12.6 mph with 2953 vertical feet climbed at a sun effected average temperature of 66.  Nice day.

Vincigliata, Croce alla Vetta, Pratolino, Careggi, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

I almost never take a photo here, although it is totally scenic.  
This is looking east from the climb from San Domenico to the
turn off toward Maiano.


A mimosa tree in full bloom on the way from San Domenico
to the turn off for Maiano.


I love this stretch of road from Croce alla Vetta toward Bivigliano.
Uphill this direction, but smooth, curvy, and scenic.


No comments:

Post a Comment