Sunday, August 10, 2014

Day 1 in San Quirico di Moriano - Abetone and back.

My first day in San Quirico di Moriano, and with some friends of Emily's visiting tomorrow, I decided to go for a big day.  It turned out to be a little too big, and I changed plans when I reached the top of the pass in Abetone.  At that point, I had put in 3:45 in the saddle, and if I did what I had planned, I had another pass, and a long ride back.  So, I turned around and enjoyed descending what I had just ridden up.  Even then, it took me 2 hours to get back, so 5:45 in the saddle is a long day for me.

I had studied maps, and took one with me, but the scales were quite disparate, so I really did not know how far things were.  I found the roads easily, and although the road toward Castelnuovo di Garfagnano was way bigger and busier than I thought, most of the riding was excellent.  I got on the road to Abetone pretty quickly, but there was a road closure, and I had to end up on the busy road a little more.  A few retracings, and I was on the road to Abetone.  It is a very gradual climb to La Lima, up a beautiful valley, and not too much traffic.  After La Lima, with a few exceptions, the road gets a little more serious.  A long climb to Abetone is nice though, and for me, being in real mountains is wonderful.

There are a number of excellent fountains on the way, and I enjoyed cooling off and drinking at most of them.  A turn around at the top, for the reasons mentioned above, then a long, fun descent back home.  I spotted a few roads I will be exploring in the days to come, and now have a basis for the coming explorations.  Nice to be here and in the quiet country for a couple of weeks.  We have a very nice redone barn as a house to use, and it is small but quite nice.  It will work well.  As always, lucky to be here and able to do what I am passionate about.  Ciao.

Day 1 in San Quirico di Moriano - Abetone and back by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Crossing the river to the road that was closed below, I really
liked this old bridge.  


Great fountain, excellent water, and real mountains in the background.
I love riding up high here.


Dueling pyramids at the top of the pass in Abetone.  I know there
is a story about this, but I don't remember what it is.  I am pretty
sure Lorenzo told me it on the Firenze / Modena ride a year plus ago.


I did the selfie in Abetone for the team Facebook page.  I hope
I am getting better at them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment