Wednesday, August 6, 2014

San Donato, Bombone, and Monteloro on a perfect day for riding.

Another day, another great ride.  We are having pretty perfect weather right now, mostly sunny days with highs in the mid 80's, and the last 2 days, heavy thundershowers in the late afternoon.  The thundershowers are supposed to be past us for a while, but the remains clears the air and makes for excellent viewing.  I did what is becoming a favorite, going out through Ponte a Ema the up via Carota to San Donato in Collina.  I had my fastest time up there today, helped by a tail wind.  I have started looking at the average speed to San Donato, and my previous best was 20.9 kph.  I kept and eye on it today, and came in at 22.1, a big improvement.  I think it is kind of fun to watch something like this and see how you can get stronger.  I am assuming that sometime soon, it will become increasingly difficult to keep improving, but for now I am liking it.

From San Donato, a great descent then the steep short climb followed by the excellent road over to Bombone.  What a great road, no traffic, reasonable surface, some steep climbs, some gentle climbs, some descents.  At Bombone it is mostly downhill to Rosano, then over the bridge to Pontasieve, then only 3.5 kilometers to the turn off for Monteloro.  Always a good climb, and today it was fun.  Really nice views, and I always seem to be taking photos here.  From the top, above Monteloro, I took the main road back down to Fiesole, then the main road back to Firenze.  If it wasn't for a few slow moving cars, it would have been a smoking fast time back to Firenze.  Lots of fun on a pretty day.  Ciao.

Carota, Cellai, Bombone, Sieci, Monteloro, Fiesole, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

A view toward Vallombrosa from the little road between 
Cellai and Bombone.


Yes, I am into the water source theme.  This one is just above Monteloro.


Beautiful vineyards and Santa Brigida in the background.


The sanctuary Madonna del Sasso from the road above Monteloro.


More vineyard views from the Monteloro road.


No comments:

Post a Comment