Wednesday, September 24, 2014

West, then South for a nice three hour tour outside of Firenze.

Window washing duty this morning, with guests / clients coming to stay with us, followed by a haircut, left me the afternoon for a ride.  We have a lecture to attend tonight, so I had plenty of time for the proverbial three hour tour.  Who knew that the Gilligan's Island song would stay with me for so long, but I always think of it when I do a three hour tour.  I took off through the Cascine, taking my standard route out to Signa.  I crossed the river to Lastra, then climbed up and over Grilliao to Ginestra.  I took the valley road out to the turn off to climb to the ridge, then climb to Montagnana.  The road is getting a little rough, but it is mostly a climb, so the holes can be easily missed.  It is a super pretty route, with big views both ways, and today, the vines were starting to change color.

From Montagnana, I continued up along the ridge to San Pancrazio, another favorite road.  A sweet descent to Ponterotto, followed by a relatively gentle climb to San Casciano, where I took a gelato break, as I get to know the spots for gelato better in the little outlying towns.  From San Casciano, over to Chiesa Nuova, then down the ridge turning for the smokin descent to Scandicci.  From there, head down and crank it through the city home.  Another great ride with excellent temperatures for riding.  Here is the garmin link for more information:

Cascine, Signa, Ginestra, Montagnana, San Pancrazio, San Casciano, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Climbing up to the ridge that takes you to Montagnana, I was surprised
to see these flowers blooming on the side of the road.  Che Bella!


I love riding this ridge toward Montagnana.  This view is to the
North, with the vines just starting to change colors.


The vines are starting to turn on the way from Montagnana to 
San Pancrazio as well.  Should be a beautiful few weeks 
coming up.


No comments:

Post a Comment