Monday, July 13, 2015

Sella Ronda, 2015

On the road bike, a rental, but really very nice, today for the first of 5 days.  I thought I was kind of taking it easy with doing the Sella Ronda, a famous route in these parts.  I have done it a couple of times before, and it is not too long.  Well, it was certainly harder than I remembered and longer as well.  I don't think I am in as good form as I was last year, as when you are doing lots of tours, you spend lots of time on the bike, but very little time going fast or hard.  Fun day, partly cloudy all day, and arm warmers and even a shell needed for some of the descents.  I think I will go "big" tomorrow, but we shall see how this old man feels.  Lots of pictures follow, so this description is done.  75.6 kilometers in 4:31 with 2651 meters of climbing.  Of course I am tired - what was I thinking?


After the ride, I had Emily take a picture of me, as I was wearing 
the "Band of Brothers" jersey to honor my friend Steve, who 
passed away 6 weeks or so ago.  I sent pictures to the other
6 college friends and fraternity brothers who did the ride.
I think, a good and positive way to remember a good friend.


These are not in any real order, as this is passo della Sella, the 
last pass of the day.  I was surprisingly tired.  For some unknown
reason, I thought today's ride would be easy.


Passo Pordoi, my favorite of the 4 passes today.  There is a 
sign at the bottom and plaque saying this is known as, "The
graveyard of Champions" as it is a famous Giro climb where
past champions have faltered.  34 numbered switchbacks on
the climb, the 3rd of the 4 passes for the day.


Another Passo Pordoi picture.


A selfie, for the same reason as the picture above, to send to my 
old college friends.  It is by this fountain in Arraba that the plaque
commemorates the climb as the graveyard of champions.


The rental bike at the fountain.  It is a very nice bike, but the squealing
of the brakes on the carbon rims is more than a little annoying.


Passo Campolongo, the 2nd of the 4 passes and the easiest 
one by far, with only around 400 meters of climbing from Corvara.


Passo Gardena, the 1st of the 4 passes, and really quite beautiful.


A scenic view from Passo Gardena.


No comments:

Post a Comment