Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pinone on a smoking hot day!

I took my state Italian exam this morning, and unless I am really off, I will easily pass.  I had no idea what the exam would be like, but it was much easier than I expected.  With a pass, I will be eligible to get a longer term permesso, which will simplify life here.  I will hope all was good.  I was home and able to get out riding by 11, and thought of Pinone, as it is a climb, so it should be cooler up high, and I was thinking it was forested all around there.  Well, Pinone is certainly forested, but the road to it is pretty exposed to the sun, reinforcing the heat.  We have just had a little thunderstorm, so I hope it has cooled off.  I am off to pick up Viola at school soon, and I will need an umbrella, which after the last 5 days of very hot weather will be nice.

I went out through the Cascine, then to Lastra, starting the climb to Pinone through Comeana and Carmignano.  I stopped for some water in Carmignano, then stopped again at Pinone for cafe an excellent piece of crostata, and more water.  At all water stops today, I drank, doused my head, drank again, and filled up.  Got to have a strategy to stay hydrated.  From Pinone, I descended down to Limite, a new favorite descent, then rode into Montelupo, and kept going to Ginestra, where more water was obtained.  Into Cerbia, then the last climb to Chiesanuova, where I did another water stop, then booked back home through Scandicci.  Really a nice ride, and the garmin link has the average temperature around 100, but it felt ok.  I don't think I will be doing many personal records while it is hot, as my energy is a little sapped.  Still, good to be out.  Ciao.

Signa, Pinone, Limite, Cerbia, Chiesanuova, Scandicci, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Another beautiful road here in Tuscany on the way to Carmignano.


On the way to Carmignano - can you see the heat shimmering?


No comments:

Post a Comment