Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Nice, mellow relaxed morning ride to Monteloro.

A day mostly off today, and although I don't really work that much anymore, it feels like I needed it.  I had a nice, slow start, a big American breakfast, then decided on the ride I would take.  I need to meet Dominick this afternoon to discuss the tours we have done this summer.  Dominick owns and operates a great tour company which includes cycling as an offering.  I also need to pick up Viola at school and get her home, so, I decided not to push it and find a 2 1/2 hour ride in my head.  Actually both Strava and Garmin list all my rides, so I could peruse and decide what to ride that way.

I rode through Le Cure, up Via Palazuolo to San Domenico, then up the Fiesole road to the Maiano turn off, which I took.  I enjoyed the descent, although I am moderating the speed at the blind corners at the start after a near collision around a month ago.  Down to the San Martino church then up the super nice Vincigliata climb.  What a perfect, beautiful road.  Yes, it does have a pretty long stretch at 10 to 15%, but no traffic, good road surface and great views.  Turn right at the end of this road and the descent to Montebeni ensues.  Catch a couple of turns and you are on the amazing descent to Compiobbi.

Over on the main road just a kilometer or two to the turn off at Le Falle, then another favorite climb to Monteloro.  A little water in Monteloro, then finish the climb to the L'Olmo road just below Alberaccio.  A left turn and a nice gradual but very fast descent to Fiesole.  I turned right in Fiesole to take the World Championship descent to Caldine, then down Via Faentina then home.  Super nice, relaxed day.  27.2 miles in 2:12 rolling time for an average speed of 12.4 mph with 3100 vertical feet climbed at an average temperature of 72.  Love it!

Vincigliata, Compiobbi, Monteloro on a perfect October 1 day by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

The vineyards just above the Monastery on the climb to Monteloro.


A vineyard just starting to change colors looking across toward
Madonna del Sasso, above Monteloro.


No comments:

Post a Comment