Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween ride.

What a nice day today in Florence.  Temperatures around 65, sunny, with a little wind.  I joined Emily's art history class this morning for a tour of the Bargello, then Orsanmichele.  It was really fun, and Elaine, the teacher / tour guide is just super.  One of those college professors that not only has a total passion for her subject, but is great at sharing both the knowledge and enthusiasm.  A real treat for me.  I don't think it will work again, as I start more Italian lessons on the 19th of November, and the art history class is off next week.  I was home from the class around 1:30, and decided to suit up for a quick ride.

I went North, and was determined not to repeat any recent ride, which worked well.  I rode up Via Faentina, which I had not climbed in a while, and enjoyed the climb.  I felt relatively slow on the climb, but somehow had a personal best on Strava.  I guess I haven't climbed it in a while.  From above Olmo, I cut over to Bivigliano, which I ride quite a bit, but is always nice.  Just a great, climbing, contouring road with excellent scenery.  After Bivigliano, I cut off on this tiny road that cuts over to Polcanto.  I had not ridden this road in quite a while and really enjoyed it.  Tiny, a little rough in places, great views, both steep climbs and descents (more descending than climbing) make it a fun 9 kilometers.  From Polcanto, you get the final 150 vertical meters of the climb to Croce alle Vetta, always a good climb.  I had a head wind on the way out Via Faentina, and riding back to Fiesole from Croce alle Vetta, the tailwind was sweet.  Fast descent from Fiesole on the World Championship course, then back through Le Cure to Home sweet Home.

Super fun Halloween ride!  29.5 miles in 2:14 rolling time for an average speed of 13.1 mph with 2766 vertical feet of climbing at an average temperature of 66.

Halloween ride to the North. by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

What a stunning day and beautiful piece of road, between
Olmo and Bivigliano.


One of the views to the Northwest on the road between Olmo and Bivigliano.


Here are a couple of pictures of the fun, tiny road between
just West of Bivigliano and Polcanto.  Definitely looks
like fall is happening here.





No comments:

Post a Comment