Sunday, October 12, 2014

Great birthday ride!

Emily and I took Gail and Pete for a walk this morning to San Miniato, one of my favorite churches and spots here in Florence.  I left after we had time in the church to take a bus home and get out for a birthday ride.  Tonight at Kate's for dinner, and tomorrow morning a tour, so I felt something short was called for.  A few years ago I climbed from Antella to Capanuccia often, but have probably only done this one time this year, so I thought, why not.  I started by going to Ponte a Ema, then up Via Carota to Osteria Nuova, then a sweet, fun descent to Antella.  A little wandering there gets you on the little back road to Capanuccia, which starts with a pretty steep climb, then a nice descent to Capanuccia.  From there it is a pretty good climb to a little pass that takes you over to San Polo.  I often ride this road the other direction,  and it was fun to ride up it today.

From San Polo, over to Strada, another road I ride the opposite direction often, and the very gradual descent from San Polo was particularly nice.  From Strada, it was home on the 222 to finish a nice ride on my birthday.  Love being here and riding at 61.  Hopefully I can just get stronger as the years pass - we shall see, and I will keep on trying.  Ciao a tutti!

Short birthday ride after a morning commitment. by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

Fall is here and the vineyards are spectacular.  This is climbing
from Antella toward Capanuccia.


Looking back at the road from Antella toward Capanuccia.


Vines changing colors after the first part of the climb toward 
San Polo.


On the climb between Capanuccia and San Polo, the vines were
spectacular - nice sky too.


Such a beautiful spot and day, I had to take another picture here.


No comments:

Post a Comment