Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pinone, solo on a perfect spring day.

With 3 client tours in the next 4 days, I wanted to get a reasonable solo ride in today.  I had to do some errands, shopping, etc., so a real long ride was not in the cards.  I decided on a ride that combined some climbing with some flats, and a really nice route that grows on me every time I take it these days.  I went out of town through the Cascine, then out the back way to Signa, only around 4 kilometers of busy roads the whole way from my apartment.  In Signa, I take the turn to Carmignano, then enjoy the cruise, with some climbing out to the start of the climb below Comeana.  The climb through Comeana, La Serra, Carmignano, and Santa Christina is pretty mellow, but then it gets a little steeper to Pinone.  It is still quite user friendly, averaging around 5% with the steepest part probably around 9%.  The bar at Pinone is closed on Wednesdays, so no cafe there.

I took the first descent option, which is now my favorite, and cranked it down to Limite, where I joined the main road.  I clocked the distance on the main road at only 4 kilometers into Montelupo, which is one of the nice parts of the first descent option.  From Montelupo, I followed the valley to Cerbia, stopping along the way for a cafe and water just past Ginestra.  From Cerbia, it is the beautiful climb to Chiesa Nuova, then the descent along the ridge to the Scandicci turn off.  I blasted down the Scandicci descent then enjoyed the ride solo through the traffic home.  I enjoy riding in the city with the traffic, but with clients, it takes more attention and effort, so the solo effort today was fun.  Back to work, as I now know it, tomorrow.  Ciao.

Signa, Pinone, Limite, Cerbia, Chiesa Nuova, Scandicci, Firenze by ridingwithcosimo at Garmin Connect - Details

That is Florence in the distant valley on this incredibly clear sky
day, climbing toward Pinone above Carmignano.


A view of the top of the Pinone climb, from the water source,
with the panoramic view visible through the trees.


The valley approaching Cerbia.


With the clear skies, the snow capped peaks in the distance 
were quite visible just after the turn off for the Scandicci descent.


No comments:

Post a Comment