Sunday, May 4, 2014

Solo ride in the hills north of Firenze. Great ride, great weather. Sweet!

The weather has changed to beautiful today, and it is forecast to stay the same for a week or so, but long range forecasts are notoriously bad.  I have clients coming tomorrow for 6 days, so the forecast is welcome.  In the last month, I have only had one or two days riding solo, and I decided on that for today.  There was a granfondo the team was participating in, but with Don and Kay just leaving and the next clients arriving soon, I thought it best to pass on the granfondo.  I hope it went well for all who rode it.  I had a wonderful late start after my big, "American" breakfast with bacon from the US brought to us by Don and Kay.  Yummy.

I started by climbing my favorite back way to San Domenico, then up to the Maiano turn off then down to the start of the Vincigliata climb.  Sweet climb, in particular when there are no worries what others will think of the steepness, as it is 15% for around 1/2 of the climb.  At the top, a fast descent to Compiobbi, then a kilometer or so on the main road to the turn to climb through Monteloro to the Fiesole / Croce alla Vette road.  Another kilometer to Croce alle Vetta, then a little descent followed by more climbing to Bivigliano.  Across, down, and up to Pratolino, the a little up to the Monte Morello road, but a left to descend through Montorsoli to a turn off in Pian de Mugnone.  On one of my favorite close in short routes now, I had not ridden this in a while and it was great.  Over to Cercina, then my favorite option for the descent from the Church above the town.  Up and around the Careggi area, then I was basically back home.  A cheeseburger and a beer topped off a nice ride.  Life is good!

Check out Vincigliata, Compiobbi, Monteloro, Bivigliano, Pratolino, Pian de Mugnone, Cercina, Careggi, Firenze on Strava.com! It's a 63.4 km ride I did on Sunday, May 4, 2014.
I had never noticed this structure before, just at the very
start of the climb through Monteloro, only visible at the beginning
and only when you ride it from Le Falle.  


Sieci and the Arno river below climbing toward Monteloro.


What a pretty road climbing toward Monteloro.


Flowers and spring green grass looking toward Santa Brigida
from a field at the top of the Monteloro climb.



A view above Pratolino close to Casellina.


No comments:

Post a Comment